The cabinet meeting held on October 27, 2020 approved the Draft Presidential Order establishing Rwanda Atomic Energy Board.
According to the statement from the Government of Rwanda, the Rwanda Atomic Energy Board (RAEB) is expected to set up nuclear facilities based on the international standard, coordinate research and implementation of the Centre for Nuclear Science and Technology project, among other things.
Below are the key responsibilities of the Rwanda Atomic Energy Board (RAEB), broken down into five parts.
1. The Rwanda Atomic Energy Board (RAEB) will coordinate the research and development of nuclear energy activities in Rwanda.
2. The board will also monitor and coordinate safety and security and support nuclear energy applications for sustainable social-economic development aligned with the National Strategy for Transformation and Vision 2050.
3. RAEB will be tasked to coordinate the implementation of the Centre for Nuclear Science and Technology project.
4. Rwanda is a member of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), and RAEB is expected to set up nuclear facilities based on international standards.
5. RAEB will play a significant role in accelerating nuclear development in the key sectors of; agriculture, health, electricity generation pharmaceuticals and biotechnology, industry, environment, geology and mining.
-In the agriculture sector, nuclear-based applications (radiation techniques) would be used to;
- Increase food crop production through improved soil water nutrients and pest management.
- Improve livestock productivity through breeding, artificial insemination and disease control
- Improve food safety from harmful residues and contaminants in food products due to pesticides. This in turn will improve the quality of foods exported and boost the country’s exports.
In the health, sector, nuclear technology can be applied to conduct accurate medical diagnosis and used in the treatment of certain diseases such as cancer and others.
In the energy sector, this technology will support the current government’s ambition of transitioning to a low-carbon emission by generating and developing a nuclear power plant that is a clean source of energy considering its zero carbon emission.
Bamwe mu rubyiruko baragira inama bagenzi babo kudashishikarira kwirukira mu Burayi na Amerika
Jul 01, 2022 Soma inkuru